A Brief History of the Stuarts Point Workers Recreation & Bowls Club Ltd.
Our Club was born on the 10th November 1959 with a meeting at the Stuarts Point Hall. At that time there was around 60 Houses in the village. John Cooper and Arthur Krumim sold debentures at 5 pounds each to raise capital for the Clubhouse. They were the Clubs first President and Secretary respectively. Sadly both men died in 1961. (John on his way to Grafton Brewery on business).
A Block was purchased from Walter Conn at a "very reasonable price". The principal workers of the area at that time were Banana Growers and Fisherman. Their symbols became our logo.
The original Club was built in 1960 with the official opening being on 04/02/61
Stuarts Point Workers' Recreation Club - Timeline
- 12/06/62: Bowling Green approved
- 08/09/64: Lots 13-14 purchased for £250
- 01/03/69: Bowling Green opened
- 07/12/71: J. Murgatroyd appointed Secretary Manager
- 18/03/73: Extensions officially opened
- 20/06/77: 9 Hole Golf course - Offer of 53 acres- 10 for free, 43 at $1000 per acre. Declined
- 14/07/81: E. Galvin appointed Secretary Manager
- 14/05/86: G. Duffy appointed Secretary Manager.
- 19/10/88: 2nd Green official opening
- 11/06/96: Computer purchased. Keno approved
- 14/09/97: Extensions opened by Ray Battle at a cost of $253551.00
- 08/02/00: Club Newsletter begins
- 18/02/08: Z. White appointed Secretary Manager.
- 21/09/08: G. Lewis appointed Secretary Manager